Spicy Italian Pork Jerky
Love Italian sausage? You are going to LOVE this recipe. Amazing flavor with a little bit of spice that is sure to have everyone raving.
Servings 4 servings
- 3/4 cup beef broth
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp black pepper freshly ground
- 1/2 tsp paprika smoked
- 1/2 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 anise seed whole
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 tsp powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper chopped
- 1/4 tsp curing salt optional
Trim all visible fat from the pork and place in freezer for an hour or two to partially freeze.
While the meat is in the freezer, combine marinade ingredients in a bowl or ziplock bag.
Remove the meat from the freezer and slice ¼" strips against the grain for an easy chew. Cut with the grain for a more chewy jerky. Visit my page on slicing jerky for more information.
Add sliced pork to the mixture in the ziplock bag or bowl and marinate for 6-24 hours in the refrigerator.
After the meat has finished marinating, remove from refrigerator and strain excess marinade in a colander and pat dry with paper towels.
Place strips on cooling rack atop a baking sheet and 'cook' in the oven for 22 minutes at 350F or until the internal temperature of the strips reaches 165F. Remove from the oven.
Continue to dry with your favorite jerky making method. I used my Nesco Dehydrator and dried for 5 hours at 145F.
The jerky is finished when it bends and cracks, but does not break in half. White fibers will also be seen when the jerky is bent.
Old Pro Tips:
- Trim all fat from the meat before marinating for longer lasting jerky once it’s finished drying
- Use curing salt or celery juice powder to extend the life of the jerky
- Marinate closer to 24 hours for the most intense flavor
- Pork Tenderloin is my favorite cut of pork to use, pork loin is a little too fatty
- Would also be great if made with Turkey
Calories: 167kcal | Carbohydrates: 3g | Protein: 26g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 71mg | Sodium: 959mg | Potassium: 467mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 385IU | Calcium: 11mg | Iron: 1mg